Over the last several months, Emma has begun to be somewhat aware of death. She's curious and we talk about it every now and then. She knows if she falls out of her second-story bedroom window, she could die. She knows if you have Jesus in your heart you will go to heaven when you die. She knows if you squish a bug, it dies. She knows that my phone can die. But what does all that mean? A person, a bug, and a phone all "die" in very different ways. She doesn't know that.
This week we have again been talking about death--Jesus' death. We talked through the events of the last week of Jesus' life before His crucifixion. Then I told her He rose from the dead and is now alive. You could see the wheels turning on that one. As we reviewed the story we had just read and talked about, she went through it step by step. She came to His resurrection and said, "Then Jesus got un-dead." Well, I guess that's as good a way to put it as any! I know she'll understand it eventually.
OK, so we're dealing with what it means to die.
Now, Emma, my sweet little 4-year-old that doesn't understand much of the English language yet... would you like to DYE some Easter eggs???? Wait, what??
I don't know if she thought we were going to go outside and smash them, but she looked at me like I was crazy. She knew we were supposed to color them but did not know that to do that we would dye them. She later told her daddy something about the eggs being dead after we colored them. She didn't completely get it.
How do our children ever learn the English language? There have been a few instances over the last week or so where we have been dealing with words that sound the same but have different meanings. At least Emma is old enough now that I can tell her that a certain word may sound the same as another but it means something different. She may not fully get that either, but oh well.
DIE or DYE, we had a great time coloring our little white eggs last night!
No comments:
Post a Comment