Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Wise Man?

Over the weekend, Robby and I watched the Royal Wedding.  While we were watching it, Robby commented that he thought Emma would like to watch some of it, too.  So last night I watched it with her.  We watched Princes William and Harry leave the Clarence House, Kate's mother & brother leave the Goring Hotel, the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh leave Buckingham Palace, many others, and finally Kate leave the Goring Hotel all for their drive to Westminster Abbey.  I told her all about who they were and explained about real life royalty (as opposed to Disney!).  She wanted to know where the horses were.  (I guess she got that from Disney?)  So she was excited when I told her that there would be lots of horses after the wedding as the bride and groom rode in a carriage back to Buckingham Palace.  

She enjoyed watching Kate get out of her car and make her long walk down the aisle to Prince William.  But when the Archbishop of Canterbury stepped up to have them take their vows, Emma said, "Mama, is that one of the wisemen that went to see baby Jesus?"  When I told her that he wasn't, she said, "Well, he looks like one!"  :-)  I don't know where she's gotten her impression of the wisemen, but I guess the archbishop is what she thinks they look like.  If you go here, you can see a picture of him standing in front of William and Kate.  It's not the best picture, and it's from behind, but you can fully see why his outfit may have confused her. 

I love when my children do and say things like that.  It was just too cute and too funny!

If you watched the royal wedding, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.  I was very impressed with the spiritual nature of the wedding and the sermon.  It was not just a standard "Do you take this woman..." kind of wedding.  Rather it discussed the importance of marriage and the vows taken under God.  It also included quite a bit about Jesus and went deeper than surface level preaching.  

We also enjoyed seeing all of the hats and fascinators.  Some were tasteful and elegant.  Some were down right hilarious because they were so terrible!  If you didn't see any of the wedding coverage, check out some of the head decorations here.

Overall, Robby and I had a good time watching history in the making, and I enjoyed watching it again with Emma.  I think every little girl dreams of marrying a prince, and seeing Kate Middleton realize that childhood fantasy was pretty neat!

No comments: